© 2005 - 2018 by STCGSERVIES.COM

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1st State HOG Accident
We are sad to report that there was a motorcycle accident with 1 fatality and
several injuries on Friday.
A group of 20 motorcycles from the First State HOG Chapter were headed to Outer
Banks Bike Week. They were on Rt. 13 about 10 miles prior to the Chesapeake Bay
Bridge Tunnel and a driver came out of a driveway without stopping. The driveway was
flanked by a row of trees so the group of bikes was not able to see the car until it
was too late. The car struck the 3 bikes behind the lead bike. Karen Fortner,
Activities Officer for First State HOG died from her injuries. Her son, Justin,
broke his femur and was flown to Norfolk General Hospital.  Karen's husband , Ed,
who is the Assistant Director for First State HOG was in the group of bikes as well.
I spoke with FSH Director, Jay Green yesterday and he gave me all this info and will
update us on any arrangements that are made. I will pass along any more details as
they become available.

This is a tragedy that we all hope we never have to deal with but it is a reality
that we must prepare for. PLEASE be safe when you are out riding.
Please keep the Fortner family and our friends at First State HOG in your thoughts
and prayers during this sad time.

Jeff Merritt
ESC HOG - Director
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

My thoughts and prayers go out to the whole Fortner family and friends.

- Steven Winslow -
Awful awful news. My heart goes out to the families and friends of those affected.
"Wind in my face...Two fists in the air...Not a care in the world!!!"
From one of my contacts at HOG...  Thanks for keeping us posted!
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are the funeral arrangements for Karen Fortner The First State HOG Activities
Officer who was killed in a tragic motorcycle accident on Rt. 13 in Cheriton, VA
last Friday while a group was on their way to Outer Banks Bike Week.
I will be riding up to Newark for the viewing on Saturday after the Annapolis HOG
Build A Bike Run. Anyone interested in riding along is most welcome.

Jeff Merritt
Director - ESC HOG
410-713-8940 (cell)

From the Beeson Funeral Home website:
http://www.griecofuneralhomes.com/

Karen Bain Fortner "Mama"
(April 8, 1962 - April 24, 2009)

Mama rode off to heaven on Friday April 24, 2009 at the age of 47. Karen was born in
Wilmington, DE, the daughter of Louise Bain and the late Herlan Bain . She was a
1980 graduate of William Penn High School and has been a resident of New Castle
County all her life. Karen was a Hairdresser for 30 years. She was a member of First
State Chapter of H.O.G. where she was Activities Officer. Karen enjoyed travelling,
reading, bowling, riding and spending time at the beach. Most importantly Karen’s
heart belonged to her family. She loved and cared for her family and especially
enjoyed spending time with her grandson Tyler. Karen leaves behind to cherish her
memory her loving husband and best friend of 27 years Edward C.. Fortner II; her
sons Ryan E. Fortner, his fiancée Marissa Massey and their son Tyler R. Fortner of
Newark, DE, Justin C. Fortner and Colby B. Fortner both of Newark, DE; her mother
Louise Bain of Bear, DE; her brother Roger A. Bain of Bear,
DE; and her mother-in-law Clara Fortner. Karen is also survived by a host of other
loving family members and all her friends she has made over the years, all of whom
called her “Mama”. Karen was also predeceased by her father Herlan Bain, her
brother Bruce H. Bain and her father-in-law Edward C. Fortner. Family and friends
are invited to Karen’s viewing and to visit with her family on Saturday May 2nd
from 3pm to 6pm at BEESON FUNERAL HOME OF NEWARK, 2053 Pulaski Highway, Newark, DE
19702 (Fox Run), (302)453-1900. A funeral service celebrating Karen’s Life will be
on Sunday May 3rd at 2 pm at the funeral home, followed by a viewing and visitation
with her family. In memory of Karen a contribution may be made to: Motorcycle
Accident Victims, M.A.V. http://www.motorcycleaccidentvictims.org.
Words never seem enough... therefor I will let my words be few. God, please hold the Fortner Family and Friends close during this most difficult time. Please open the eyes of those on the road to better see and look for all my brothers and sisters on two wheels.
Blessings, Terry Smile