Author Topic: My very first time on a bike  (Read 3052 times)

Dcat

My very first time on a bike
« on: September 18, 2008, 09:14:05 AM »
 January 15, 2008   

I was so excited, woohoo!!  Cesar and I got dressed and went out to the garage to get the bikes out. Oh I didnt tell you he bought me a motorcycle, yeah Baby.  Its a 98 HD Sportster 883. I know I know not the one I really want but that will come later and it is a cool looking bike so Nyah.
  So we got the bikes out of the garage and took them to the front of the driveway.  I got on mine and we proceeded to go over all the controls, I tested the gears for a bit so I would know when I was in what gear, Cesar was going over safety stuff with me so I wouldn't go tearing down the street. We decided it would be best just for me to try and go up and down the driveway for now till I got the feel of it.
   Now I was ready, I knew I could do this and before you know it we would be ridding down the street together.  I started the bike, made sure I was in first gear and slowly let off the clutch, I was moving forward slowly, I let off the clutch a fraction of an inch too much, the bike lurched just enough to freak me out and I let go of everything(dumb yes I know) including a scream(OMG  I am a girl!) , then I grabbed hold of the handlebars again but couldn't get my grip back on the clutch in time.
  Wow, my first crash...........less than 6 feet from where I started. Four by fours and 8 foot wood panel fences aren't as strong as they are supposed to be.  I broke one of each.  I have a six inch scrape down my right front leg and a sore spot next to it that is just starting to bruise. The fence cannot be saved because I broke the crap out of it. I didn't really like that panel anyway, it always looked at me funny and got in my way.
  After I finally stopped laughing, we got the bike back up, moved the fence out of the way and then it wouldn't start, CRAP.  Finally got it started again and THIS time I made sure to keep my hand on that clutch no matter what!  I went up and down the driveway several times and now feel more confident that I will do this, its just too damn cold right now but on the next nice day my fat ass will be out there again. This time tho I wont just have my confidence I will have experience to remember to "NOT LET GO OF THE DAMN CLUTCH TILL ITS ACTUALLY TIME"!

For those of you on the road.... I am much much better at controlling my bike now so no worries.         

Gunner

• DMVB Score: +8/-0
    • View Profile
Re: My very first time on a bike
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 11:49:37 AM »
 ;D
Vietnam Vets M/C
Maryland

Winslow

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 11:53:41 AM »
Nice!  Keep us posted on how the learning comes along.  I can remember that exciting time too, even though it was 25 years ago, hehehe.

- Steven Winslow -

Dcat

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 12:31:53 PM »
This had happened in January, I took the BRC in April. Since this incident I only fell one other time then I went and practiced more in an empty parking lot to get my turns right.  I rode all though OC and DE without incident  so I think I've almost got it down now.

I'll tell that story in another post.

dudley

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 06:47:47 PM »
  Don't worry, I locked my keys in mine(HA) ;D